ob Title: Manufacturing Engineer, Gas Flow Measurement
Basic Function: Manufacturing engineering includes development and application of various processes and utilization of specialized equipment to efficiently accomplish such objectives as fabrication, production, modification or repair of Company products.
Under limited direction, perform a variety of complex engineering assignments requiring in-depth knowledge of a specific engineering discipline plus an understanding of related disciplines to cost effectively achieve objectives. Assignments typically require the use of advanced and innovative techniques. Proactively seek and implement initiatives to improve operations and increase customer satisfaction.
Typical duties/responsibilities for engineering may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Design, analyze, and evaluate systems, products or components, requiring a high degree of technical expertise.
Design and develop complex models or simulations and apply advanced computer programs, analytical techniques or control strategies to effectively meet requirements and resolve problems.
Act as principal investigator or lead a group of engineers investigating problems, developing solutions and preparing related recommendations and reports.
Conduct economic studies and prepare or lead the preparation of specifications, proposals for contracts, licensing and safety documents, and obtain required approvals.
Represent the group in meetings and conferences; interact with customers to resolve significant technical issues and develop related action plans
Complexity of Tasks: Requires thorough knowledge of a specific engineering discipline plus an understanding of related disciplines to coordinate activities, analyze and resolve problems crossing disciplines and to develop new concepts for programs. Technical input, recommendations and decisions may impact the organization's effectiveness and customer relations. Requires ability to interface effectively, internally and with customers.
Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree in an engineering or related field plus 5 to 8 years of experience; alternatively, a special combination of education and experience and/or demonstrated accomplishments
PREFERRED JOB EXPERIENCE:
• Sustaining manufacturing support of products primarily used for natural gas flow measurement.
• Sustaining manufacturing support of analog and digital hardware boards and assemblies, test systems and applications
• Research, investigate and define new areas of technology to enhance existing products manufacturability and testability.
• Evaluate and make recommendations on design and implementation of current products for product testability and obsolescence.
• Interface with component suppliers to evaluate components, electromechanical components, test equipment and systems for manufacturing test.
• Involved in multiple manufacturing sustaining projects running concurrently.
• Oil and Gas industry experience a plus.
• Five years or more direct experience with equipment and test/calibration systems used for gas flow measurement, natural gas (methane) is a plus.
• Work safely with high pressure pneumatic systems.
• Familiarity with Level Measurement and Gas Chromatographs a plus.
• Hardware design for manufacturing sustaining and test system support including component selection, test, prototype build and debug.
• Hands on hardware sustaining experience – analog and digital and electromechanical devices (Greater than 5 years).
• Use CAD tools for schematic capture, simulation and layout.
• Work closely with cross-functional teams (production, production test, customer support, supply chain, …)
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with ability to produce clear and concise technical documentation.
• Implement and understand automated test systems for thermal calibration of gas flow measurement devices.
• Implement and understand statistical analysis techniques in a manufacturing test environment.
• Gas flow measurement equipment
o Direct experience with low to high pressure pipeline transducers
Pressure transmitters, multivariable transmitters and Flow computers
Understand various pressure sensor technologies for these devices
Understand various materials used in transducer construction
Understand safety protocols and hazards associated with using these devices and test equipment
o Direct experience with low to high pressure high-accuracy gas flow measurements systems
o Direct experience with high-accuracy static pressure test systems
o Direct experience and understanding of gas flow and effects of tubing, bends, valves, restrictions and other potential perturbations.
o Direct experience with high production volume test systems for calibration and characterization over temperature
• Test automation hardware and software design and implementation
o Experience with automation test systems like National Instruments
o Writing, testing and implementing test automation software
Good understand of “C”, “C++”, Visual “C” and/or others
o Experience with bed-of-nails test systems and assessing design for manufacturability
• Hardware Design for Manufacturing Test and Sustaining Support
o Read and understand electronic schematics for gas flow measurement, gas chromatography and level measurement equipment
Microprocessor/Microcontrollers and memories
ADC, DAC, amplifiers, switching power supplies…
I/O communication devices/protocols such as RS-232, SPI, Modbus, Ethernet, RS-485/422...
o Measurement tools for test and measurement, strong understanding of
DMM’s, Counters, Timers
Oscilloscopes, Logic analyzers
o Lab equipment, direct experience with how to use
Soldering irons and stations, SMT and thru-hole
Hand tools such as wire strippers, wire cutters, pliers, screw drivers…
Direct experience with altering PCB’s for changes such as adding wire, adding circuits, modifying circuits…
o Hardware design skills for Manufacturing test systems
Conceptualize and design and build manufacturing test systems; electronic, electromechanical and electro-pneumatic
Experience with design tools such as Cadence/Allegro, Altium, OrCAD, PADs…
Selecting electronic and/or electromechanical components
Experience with Solenoids, Motors, Valves (both linear and on/off), RTD’s, Pressure, Thermocouple
o Hardware Design for Product Sustaining Support
Use above hardware design skills to support part obsolescence on existing products
Replacement component selection
Make schematic changes as needed
Support testing of new components
Design and run validation tests
Understanding of EMC Compliance Equipment