“Transportation consists of determining cost-effective means of transporting various types of products and equipment considering the delivery requirements. It also includes analyzing routes and means of transportation, negotiating fees, co-ordinating with other related groups, making overall arrangements and obtaining approvals from authorities, as applicable. Perform assigned functions in the supply management and transportation field, consistent with regulations, standards, established policies and business requirements.”
The scope and responsibilities of the role is execute and optimize transports, considering cost, service (lead time requirements) and other planning parameters
1. Utilizes various transportation software systems to facilitate material movement, planning and scheduling, understands different planning techniques including load planning tools
2. Prepares and updates monthly logistics schedule to ensure deliveries to production locations and coordinates product delivery schedule with customers.
3. Coordinates daily activities to track location and movement of inventory finished goods and raw materials via all transport modes, and re-routes freight as needed to meet demands and minimize cost. Communicates fulfilment status to Logistics and Sales organizations as appropriate
4. Works closely with transport service providers to assure efficient and effective execution of processes, assists in obtaining necessary transport permits and codes and prepares proper transportation paperwork and export documentation
5. Supports the development and implementation of improved processes and systems and maintains master data
6. Calculate total transportation lead time and transport cost and justify cost overruns when they occur
7. Plan and optimize multi-leg shipments (e.g. ocean and airfreight).
8. Interact with Customer Service team for optimum load selection and communicate any potential issues affecting pickup and/or delivery.
Support Customs team for import and export clearance and accounts payable for freight payment reconciliation.
• Local transport market knowledge including equipment, port and airport operations as well as relevant restrictions and regulations and legislation
• Carrier operating model knowledge
• Return transport: know availability of trucks including capacity
• Know how to work with freight forwarders
• Capable of managing and prioritizing multiple time sensitive tasks in a dynamic environment
• Ability to develop and maintain professional working relationships with customers
• Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
• Advanced desktop computer skills including Microsoft Excel and Outlook required
• Experience in working with advanced TMS platforms, JDA preferred
• Ability to work independently with a sense of urgency
• Team player with flexibility in working different shifts
• Knowledge of Department Of Transportation rules and regulations a plus
• Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills in English.
Proficiency in French or Spanish a benefit.