|Utilizes multiple CADD software platforms to create construction grade detailed design drawings related to electro-mechanical systems of electrical substations. Using same CADD software platforms incorporate comments received from engineer and/or client. Maintain design documents per approved document storage process.
A Designer should be comfortable functioning independently, as well as in a team environment. On a daily basis, a Designer will spend the majority of the day developing construction plans and details, according to project and customer specifications, national and local design codes and standards using CADD software. A Designer is sometimes asked to travel to jobsites to collect data necessary to complete their design drawing packages, or to assist in the preparation of a bid package. The Substation Designer will spend 70%-90% of his/her time using various CAD software platforms to execute projects.
Applicants should be highly organized and detail oriented. Applicants must be well versed in CADD software, document control, scheduling, time management, and budgeting constraints. Applicants must feel comfortable aiding the work of others.
• Generates design and detail drawings including plans/sections, details and isometrics using 2D or 3D CAD software.
• Revise and update existing drawings to reflect design changes.
• Review customer drawings, specifications, and other documentation and adhere to requirements.
• Revise customer drawings as needed.
• Review vendor submittals to ensure compliance with design parameters
• Develop a complete set of construction documents (layouts, elevations, details, grounding plans and details, trench and conduit plans and details, single line diagrams, etc.) based upon project/client specification with little supervision
• Interpret engineering calculations and studies and apply same to design requirements
• Apply project schedules to complete tasks in a timely manner and within project budget
• Review other discipline engineering documents with electro-mechanical documents
• Sketch single line diagrams, layouts, general arrangements, conduit plans, trench plans, grounding plans and other design documents with little oversight to develop project documentation
• Confer with engineers, customers, and others to discuss engineering project deliverables
• Communicates with project team member’s potential project issues and support solutions to issues
• Coach and mentor project team members as necessary
• Ensure project tasks are completed satisfactorily, on time and within budget ensuring a quality deliverable
• Prepare technical drawings and specifications of electrical systems, to ensure that installation and operations conform to standards and customer requirements
• Perform designs in accordance with current codes, regulations, and scope requirements
• Interact and communicate effectively with clients, project managers, other design disciplines, vendors, contractors, and other team members to report project status and address project-related issues
• Review the work of other designers and evaluate for completeness and accuracy
• Visit client facilities and/or jobsites as needed to obtain information for design
• Other duties as required related to CAD database, PDM, etc.
Required Education and/or Experience
This position could be filled with growth to a designer level should a candidate meet the following qualifications:
• 2-year degree in design, or engineering technology (or related field) and 2+ years of experience,
4+ years in 3D electrical design experience.
This position could be filled at a designer level should a candidate meet the following qualifications:
• 4-year degree in engineering or engineering related field and 2+ years of experience,
2-year degree in design, or engineering technology (or related field) and 4+ years of experience,
6+ years in 3D electrical design experience
• Proficient in 3D CAD software such as SolidWorks, Inventor, etc. (3D Modeling Certifications Preferred)
• Able to generate 3D CAD packages from sketches, manufacturer cut sheets, and specifications
• Knowledgeable in standard drafting practices and procedures
• Skilled in PC usage
• Knowledge in substation construction and/or commissioning techniques and industry standards (preferred)
• Able to work independently or in project teams
• Knowledge and ability to use 2D CAD tools such as AutoCAD or MicroStation
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
• Ability to speak effectively before groups of clients, contractors, and/or employees of the organization