The Operating Engineer will have a strong focus on operating, maintaining, troubleshooting and repairing facility equipment on all systems. Individuals are expected to demonstrate technical expertise in one craft area (Electrical, HVAC, Piping/Plumbing, Central Utility Plant Operations) and be multi-skilled in others in order to successfully complete daily/weekly work assignments.
- Perform maintenance, monitoring repairs to the Mechanical, Plumbing, Structural, Furniture, Fire, Life Safety, and Control systems for the facility to keep facility and building systems up to applicable standards as assigned
- Maintains responsibility for facility services, preventative maintenance, purchasing and inventory control, contracted maintenance, general maintenance and technical proficiency.
- Maintenance of the equipment will include cleaning, inspecting, calibrating and changing parts to maintain the HVAC systems and associated equipment at optimum performance levels
- Quality Control
- Review monthly client service request summaries to pinpoint and correct recurrent operational problems
- Evaluate vendors and suppliers on a regular basis with regard to quality and competitive pricing
- Verify the accuracy of deliveries for count, pricing, and description
- Record readings and make adjustments where necessary to ensure proper operation of equipment
- Comply with departmental policy for the safe storage, usage, and disposal of hazardous materials; maintain a clean and safe workplace
- Perform periodic checks of tool and instrument inventory
- Monitor the quality and pricing of maintenance work performed by outside contractors
- Any and all other duties and tasks assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- High School diploma or GED equivalent, with two years of trades schooling in electrical system design, refrigeration and HVAC.
- Certification as a Universal Technician for CFC’s (or within 90 days of employment)
- Working knowledge of computer applications including Word and Excel
- Skills and Knowledge
- Ability to analyze the operation of various systems, determine the cause of any problems/malfunctions and take corrective action as required
- Physical Work Requirements and Work Conditions