1. Main customer interface on technical issues (mechanical and process focused).
2. Actively plan and lead mechanical project engineering and design activities for respective project.
3. Enforce adherence to established customer specifications.
4. Enforce project team use of internal processes and procedures.
5. Actively lead engineering resources to maintain project schedule and budget requirements.
Project Inputs (include, but not limited to):
Customer request for quote, vendor quotations, proposal, cost estimates, standard solution offerings, previous things gone right/things gone wrong, R&M data, customer / industry specifications, etc.
Deliver document requirements per established methods, oversee the completion and effective use of:
System / cell Layout’s, project job books, project open issue’s list, master bill of material / procurement plan for purchasing, equipment functional specification, sequence of operations / time cycle diagram, detailed and specific request for quotes, evaluate and source equipment, project quality documentation (PFMEA, FMEA, etc.), mechanical to controls line-up, internal concept / design reviews within and with customer, manufacturing line-up, equipment buy-off @ vendor facility for external sourced equipment prior to delivery to , support manufacturing equipment build on floor, participate in internal equipment run-off prior to customer run-off, participate in final customer run-off participate in equipment run-off @ customer’s facility, provide final documentation per proposal, & participate in project things gone right / things gone wrong.
May include 2-4 days of meetings at customer site per month & 5-6 weeks field investigation and installation support per year.
Expected Work Week:
45 – 55 hours
Key Measurements for this Position:
- Ability to meet project schedule
- Ability to work within project team or as an individual
- Ability to lead others
- Ability to meet project budgets
- Customer satisfaction
- Ability to minimize rework due to engineering errors
- Direct; none
- Indirect; 1 - 3 (includes external design resources)
- Functional; Coordinate with Project Management, Proposal Engineering, Controls Engineering, Supply Chain Management, Manufacturing, Finance, Senior Management, etc.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience:
Business / Technical Skills:
- 5+ years in the Process and Automation field (3 years minimum)
- Proven track record in the Automation or Powertrain Assembly field as a lead project / process engineer
- Proven track record in leading cross-function project team which includes internal and external resources
- Proven ability to build strong customer relationships through demonstrating technical expertise in the Automation or Powertrain Assembly field
Proficient in the following:
- AutoCAD 2014, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Project, R&M / Quality training, solid problem solving skills, presentation skills, and career development in the automotive industry
Preferred, not required:
- SolidWorks, 3D CAD package, and SAP
Interpersonal / Behavioral Skills:
- Personal responsibility for project completion (show work commitment, drive for results, high energy, self motivated).
- Establish plans and manage execution per project timing
- Excellent organizational skills
- Foster open communication
- Personal awareness of own ability
- Acts with integrity